View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
so why did you venture to change existing translations? and I will revert it
What's life without a little risk, but seriously, I just wanted to fix some inconsistencies in those tracklists. I'm not planning to touch your eternal box tracklist if that's bothering you, but I was thinking to add a romaji tracklist for that album.

Quote:
it's not simply a word or a sentence in some dialogues, no it's the name of an attack (or attacks)
To tell the truth, I've never seen an episode of Saint Seiya dubbed into english, so I don't really know if they translated those attacks into english or left them in romaji. But it turns out that the second episode of the TV series has the title "Burn! Meteor punch of Pegasus", so I'm guessing they translated the fighting techniques of all saints into english, not just romaji.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that those techniques have names in english, and I repeat they're not fan translations. So, why do we have to put romaji terms into an English tracklist if those terms have its equivalents in english. I can understand you prefer the romaji terms over the english translations, but I don't see the point in having a romaji tracklist and an english tracklist if they're showing the same. And those techniques aren't a proper name, they have a literal meaning and that's a valid reason to translate them into english.

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen famous english songs being translated in not-in-english songs
I'm sure songs like "thriller" (mj) or whatever never been translated in other languages, so why japanese songs should be an exception
just because people don't know the meaning?

a song like "yakusoku wa iranai" is easier to remember as romaji as translations which can differ according to a lot of sites/material (and translations can corrupt the original meaning)
I wouldn't be so sure about that, there are some albums such as this (track 8) or this (a buch of tracks) that contain famous 'occidental' songs whose tracktitles are given in japanese. So, this is not just a thing that only concerns japanese songs, I'm afraid that all around the world is the same.

Well, it's your opinion that romaji tracklists are easier to remember, but that's not a fact, and it's not even relevant for the matter. Yeah, translations can corrupt the original meaning, the same way that romaji transcriptions can corrupt the original meaning because if you're taking as original source a tracktitle written in kanji, you'll know that some kanjis can be read in more than one way and if you don't have furigana written over them you can't be 100% sure that the reading you're assigning them is the reading that it was intended.

Uncertainty and differences about how a track should be romanized or translated are the same, you choose to leave it in romaji or to translate it into english. But, hey, we'll always have the original japanese tracklists (original meaning 100% guaranteed!)

Quote:
I know the series, I don't need a fan site translation to do it especially when fan site translations are often made by people thinking they can do translations (it's generally badly made, esp. wikipedia's)

it's just localization shit, like with pokemon etc.
it's often not a good idea to use localization because sometimes you completely lose the sense of the original tracknames
I've seen this series too and I don't remember every detail of the Saint Seiya universe, so if I have doubts on a specific term I look for Saint Seiya sites. Of course you don't have to take as true everything they publish in those wikis, I don't, but if there are more sources (not related between them) supporting whatever information you're searching for, then I think it's safe to assume that said information is true.

And now, the core point of my reasoning. The whole reason of translating into english a tracklist is to offer to an english speaking or understanding audience a tracklist that this audience can relate to. It's not use, no matter how faithful your translated tracklist is with respect to the original meaning, if the target audience can't relate to it. Sure, anyone can do his own tracklist translation, but if you want to do one with which people can relate to, you'll have to rely on localization and terms that may be substantially different from the original ones.

If you're doing an english tracklist is natural to stick to terms used in the english version of the show, to use them as references, and if you want to see intact the original meaning of the tracktitles, stay with the original jap. tracklist, as easy as that.

Quote:
it's not because the jap added it that you must make the same stupid error
Wait, I thought that you wanted to preserve the sense of the original tracknames, is this so or I get it wrong?

At the end, it all comes down to personal preferences, so if you don't like my edits for whatever reason I give you my permission to do what you see fit.

Last edited by isdapi; Jan 24, 2014 at 04:11 PM.