View Single Post
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:39 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
I don't know if Balmung means "sword" in some scandinavian language if that's what you're referring to. I think that Balmung is a proper noun and as such shouldn't be translated. I can understand that the term "Sword of Balmung" seems to you redundant, but maybe other people whose knowledge of the Norse mythology is limited, maybe they don't know that Balmung is the name of a sword and you don't have the right to presume that everyone knows something, no matter how obvious it is to you.
Balmung in Norway means "siegfried's sword". In my opinion the real problem is the original tracklist... japanese knowledge of west culture has tons and tons of historical errors, geography location ecc.. you can't imagine and you can see everywhere (videogames, comics..).
So should we report the original error of the japanese tracklist "search for a sword of -a sword-" or "search for Balmung" that seems a correct interpretation? I can say here in Italy Saint Seiya is still popular and it's still on TV after about 30 years; the original adaptation we have is "La spada di Balmung" ("the sword of Balbum" translate from italian) but we have also (not from Saint Seiya) the adaptation "sword of Excalibur" and I think you can find everywhere these historical incongruence. So the QUESTION is: do we make a translation for the ignorant mass (like japanese have done) or a cultural translation? Where's the border?

Quote:
I know that some anime fighting techniques are more known in the west by their romaji forms. I don't know the case of Saint Seiya, I don't know if Meteor Fist is more widespread in the west than Ryuseiken or the other way around. I propose you something, if you're capable of showing me that "Ryuseiken" is more widespread in the english audience than "Meteor Fist", I'll change it back (the same for the other fighting technique names)
Anime fighting techniques were translated everywhere unfortunately. There are some exception, for example here in Italy in the Street Fighter anime famous techniques like Hadouken, Shoryuken, ecc.. were mantained in their original romaji forms due probably to the famous game where guys learned very well which is is an Hadouken, ecc... but it's an isolate case.

Quote:
And yes, please, make those scans real, I'm dying to see musician credits of these legendary albums.
The problem is my f.....g Epson scanner. If I try to put the border of something I want to scan near the border of the scanner area, it cuts a millimeter from the horizontal and vertical side and the image is incomplete. And I have to use something like a rules to put the border of the scanner but obviously all scanning are slow since I have to push what I want to scan to prevent movements during scanning. Is it possible are there technologies that straighten scans automatically?

about what I think of original japanese songs translated into english I'll do soon...

Last edited by depa; Jan 28, 2014 at 02:01 AM.