View Single Post
Old Aug 4, 2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VyseLegend View Post
But my question is, is it possible to have two official titles for a track on one CD?
I actually explained this in my post in this thread in pretty good detail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFGalaxy View Post
track 3-13 from Poison Pink is Kouk the Fire!! in English and 「胸いっぱいのククを」 in Japanese. Translating the Japanese does not give you Kouk the Fire!! ; there are no exclamation points or other emphasis characters and 胸いっぱい is not fire. Yet checking the booklet will give you both the titles for this track and thus they are both the actual titles in their respective languages.
You should also kind of already know the answer to this because you own the Final Fantasy VI Original Sound Version, which is only one of a few soundtracks that do this for every single song. The page for it at VGMdb even has both "English" and "English (Literal)" tracklists, and this isn't the only soundtrack that does this. So, obviously, it's not exactly an unprecedented occurrence for one track (or even all of the tracks) on an album to have differing official English/Japanese track names.

Honestly though, and hopefully you don't take offense to this, but, I don't see what this is going to prove with you, since it seems you're coming at this with the bias that Outskirts of Time should be abolished from this album's title field. On one hand, you've brought up numerous opportunities arguing for Outskirts of Time, like "is that title here and in this form and in this official capacity", but every time you are given an official place that Outskirts of Time has been linked to 遥かなる時の彼方へ, you try to make an excuse for it not to count, like "well that's these people" or "well the obi is just an advertising piece" or "well that's a different album" (an album which, by the way, is released on the exact same record label as the Chrono Trigger Original Sound Version). You have also said you don't care about literal translations, but then you turn around and call Outskirts of Time "poetic-license" and a "mistranslation" again and again as a point against it and ask why it has "persisted so long" and "why hasn't it been corrected". You also haven't been shy to share your (multiple) translations of 遥かなる時の彼方へ, which shouldn't be a big issue unless you really did care that it's translated correctly, because if we're not using an official English variant of the Japanese 遥かなる時の彼方へ, then we really wouldn't include the English at all because it's not the website's policy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
I've decided to add it, for help with the eventual searches based on an existing reference. If there wasn't one to begin with, no eng title at all should have been added.
So if you care so little about the translation aspect of it then I don't know why you keep trying to proffer "good" translations when if it's not an English title officially linked to 遥かなる時の彼方へ, then it's not going up there anyway.

Lastly, translation wars are pointless, I could say 遥かなる時, "far away time", pretty clearly has the meaning "the future", so it should be "Beyond the Future". Now we're just arguing on whose translation is better, which I'm guessing is why these types of translations don't make it to album title fields and why Outskirts of Time was added only because it's official... which by the way, it is.

Not trying to rake you over the coals, but this discussion seems more like a crusade than an actual fact-finding mission. I answered the question you had at the top of my post here, and honestly I'm just expecting an excuse to come back arguing against that answer having any real meaning.

Last edited by RFGalaxy; Aug 4, 2015 at 09:00 PM.