View Single Post
Old Aug 12, 2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
All very fine choices my friend! That performance of the Prélude from Le Tombeau is going at an insane tempo--that's right around the speed that the original piano solo is supposed to go. That's really flying for an orchestra. o.o

I'll try to do as Lunar did and find some favorite youtube examples.

Classical:

Debussy [Passepied from Suite Bergamasque(gah out of 100 recordings on yt I can't find a single one I like... this will have to do)] [Nuages] [Jeux de vagues from La Mer] [Danses sacrée et profane and once again can't find a recording I'm completely satisfied with)

Grainger [Lord Melbourne from Lincolnshire Posy] [Rufford Park Poachers from Lincolnshire Posy] [Children's March]

Holst [March from Suite in F] [Intermezzo from First Suite in Eb] [Saturn from The Planets] [part 1, The Cloud Messenger]

Milhaud [La création du monde] [Ile de France from Suite Francaise] [Alsace-Lorraine from Suite Francaise]

Poulenc [Domine Deus from Gloria -- an OK version, really wish I could find a soprano that does less sliding and is more subtle with her entrances] [mvt. 1 from Concerto in D minor for 2 pianos & orchestra] [Valse in C Major]

Prokofiev [Gavotte from Classical Symphony] [Dance of the Pagan monster from Scythian Suite] [Small Pieces performed by Prokofiev himself, recording via piano roll]

Ravel [Jeux d'eau -- a bit fast for my tastes, but Richter is extraordinary] [Assez vif from String Quartet in F major -- just a touch slow] [Pavane pour une infante defunte -- probably his most popular work, but has some VGM significance in that it appears in arranged form in Breath of Fire IV] [Daphnis et Chloé Suite 1]

Satie [Gymnopédie no.1 -- yeah everyone knows this one...] [Gnossienne no.1] [Nocturne no.3]

R. Strauss [Dance of the Seven Veils from Salome -- do some searching and you can see the opera performance, might be a bit NSFW but it's beautiful] [Don Juan part 1] [Im abendrot from Four last Songs]

Stravinsky [Rite of Spring part 1 -- you don't know music till you've heard Rite of Spring]

Copland [Clarineto Concerto mvt. 1 -- Stolzman + the LSO is my personal favorite performing group of this piece] [Dream March & Circus Music from The Red Pony] [[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qbVUnMq8ns&feature=related"]Symphony No.3 mvt. 4[ part 1/URL]]

Hovhaness [Double Fugue from The Mysterious Mountain]

Borodin [Polovtsian Dances from Prince Igor] [In the Steppes of Central Asia] [Nocturne from String Quartet no.2]

Smetana [The Moldau from Ma Vlast]

Monteverdi [Zefiro torna from Madrigal Concertato] [Cruda Amarilli] [excerpt from L'Orfeo -- ...ignore the performance]

Bizet [Habanera from Carmen]

Tailleferre [Sonata for Harp]

Texidor [Amparito Roca]

Bach Just type J.S. Bach into youtube and basically everything is beautiful. [St. Matthews Passion] [BWV 558] -- Apparently no one on the internet can play this at the right tempo, it's either way too fast and flawless or fast and inaccurate...at least this tempo displays the fugue part appropriately] [My Jesus! Oh What Anguish -- wind ensemble arr. Alfred Reed]

Modern:

Bernstein [Glitter and Be Gay from Candide -- brilliant performance too] [Westphalia Chorale from Candide] [America from West Side Story] [One Hand, One Heart from WSS]

Eric Whitacre [Cloudburst] [October] [I Thank You God For Most This Amazing Day]

Johann de Meij [Hobbits from Lord of the Rings] [Gollum from LoTR] (de Meij should've scored the films...)

And wow that's way too much for now, I'm not even halfway through what I wanted to post. Just gonna stop here lol. All of this music must be listened to in its entirety so as to validate my exceptional nerdness in taking the time to construct this overindulgent post. ^^;;;;;;;;;;;;;