View Single Post
Old Aug 5, 2010, 01:18 AM

what i do probably varies from the convention a bit.

Quote:
Under "Artist", what would you guys put where a track has been credited as having both a composer AND arranger? Would you put down the COMPOSER, or the ARRANGER as being the artist, or BOTH?
to me it depends on the content. for example, something like E.V.O., even though Motoaki Takenouchi arranged the soundtrack, I'd put Koichi Sugiyama as the artist, since Takenouchi just ported the music. But for something like an Akihabara Electric Circus album, I credit them in the artist field rather than the original composers.

Quote:
And also, where a performing artist is concerned (For example Mary Elizabeth McGlynn on numerous Akira Yamaoka tracks), would you bother mentioning him/her in the track title or artist? And if so, how? (Eg: O.R.T. feat. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn)
it's standard protocol to use the vocalist in the artist field instead of the composer or arranger, though as a personal thing i change songs like that to feature the composer/arranger instead. really, it depends where your values are regarding that. to the vast majority of people, the artist is the singer. i guess it also depends on the context though. i credit Megumi Ogata for the entire of her Multipheno album (simply, it's an album explicitly stated as being by her) but I would credit Hayato Matsuo for her vocal songs on anime scores.

in both these circumstances, i also try and avoid using more than one name in the artist field (it buggers with Last FM.) else I might do what you've done and credit both composers and arrangers.