View Single Post
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:19 PM

I attended the event and heard Neil Young introduce this, I didn't get over to the booth to give it a listen, but it seems like a great idea. I guess the idea is to recreate the full dynamic range from analogue recording into digital.

I was reading through some youtube comments on vinyl vs. digital and some said that it's impossible to truly recreate analogue recording as a digital version and I reason this is true though I have absolutely no basis or education other than my own listening. I don't consider myself an audiophile or snob or anything but I acknowledge there is a range of output quality dependent on source material, amplifiers and speakers/headphones. So even if it can't 'truly' recreate a vinyl listening experience it could at least get damn near, and it wouldn't degrade like a record does. So sounds cool!

One thing I wonder about is with video game music, it's usually created electronically, so unless they royally screw up the recording/transfer, the soundtrack should be true to the source without need for extended dynamic range or whatever, right?