Thread: VGM research
View Single Post
Old Jun 25, 2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
I'm not testy, and the other thread has no relevance here.

Interactive music in games (we can also count the invincibility jingle in SMB as such btw.) never really revolutionized game music as a whole outside of different area music since it's a part which has been mostly ignored and only slowly more widely used and very reluctantly in musical ways. Most other aspects (themes, leitmotiv etc.) can be considered as having been imported from other applications of music. But then I have the problem thinking of anything else deemed as revolutionary within the context of games.

Well if your book has more on the game music development before the release of SMB in September 1985 I'm eager to hearing about it.
Very true and quite sad that interactive music still isn't a given. And like you say themes, leitmotifs and so on are mainly from Wagner (often via film music) so it's not revolutionary. Interactive music is definitely something games can flag as almost "their own" (even though early experimental music and way earlier improvisation sessions and similar can be seen as interactive).

In any case I'm gonna look some stuff up in said book when I get home again, I remember vaguely some other interactive stuff but hey I might even be wrong!