Thread: VGM research
View Single Post
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
Thank you and bookmarked. Will read it as soon as I have time to do so in one sitting.

I would separate situation dependent sped up/re-arranged themes from situation dependent unique jingles/themes. The latter is more comparable with SMB's invincibility jingle (and can be considered an often musical extension of sound effects, which by definition always are "adaptive audio"). The former instead changes the game's base rhythm in the most direct way without changing the music. That's more like a variation on area based themes, just that in this case not the location is the cause for a change but the remaining time.

Another note, when watching older games I have a hard time drawing the line between just sound effects and actual melodies. Vanguard comes off as quite messy in that regard, I'll need to watch it some more times.
Yeah that's true. The technique behind the sped up theme is the same though, it's basically another track that's triggered under certain conditions. Wish I knew some more examples of this kind of use (faster music, arranged music) but I currently don't have the knowledge. It'd be interesting to see if Kondo and friends indeed were the first in this sub-area but I dunno, somehow I doubt it. I call Space Invaders