View Single Post
Old Oct 29, 2008, 02:38 AM

Default Album rating function

I just had an idea regarding the album rating function and I believe it would be an improvement for this site. VGMdb is currently using a simple 5 star album rating method, though 5 stars itself are sufficient, in my opinion.
I think this way of rating an album isn't exact enough in most cases. I guess the actual result of such a rating is mostly distorted, because it's not that easy to rate an album in a professional way. To make it accurate, the listener had to gather all track ratings manually and calculate the average, but I guess no one is actually doing that.
Wouldn't it be better if the average album rating becomes determined by track rating? That way, it would be possible to get the most exact average. This method would also bring another benefit; a detailed track rating. Track ratings are sometimes more interesting than entire album ratings, in my opinion. Just think, as an example, about doujins and fan made albums. Let's say someone only want's to know how an arrangement/remix of a battle theme was done. The album rating won't help him with that.
Taking this idea on a more advanced level, it would also be possible to gather this kind information through meta-data, but it's actually hard to realize something like that in an easy way. A steadfast concept would be required, otherwise... see Last.fm. Good idea, messy realization.
I for my part have already standardized "RATING"-tags in my audio files, because it's very nice to have it stored and displayed.
Anyway... I hope this conceptional brick might be of some help regarding the future improvements of VGMdb.