View Single Post
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:47 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)
Default Should Video Game Music Become Mainstream?

As video game music continues to gain popularity and become increasingly more "dynamic", "appealing" to a mainstream audience who weren't before interested or educated in this type of music, should video game music become mainstream?

This isn't so much a discussion as to whether video game music is headed the path of becoming mainstream, but rather, whether it should be.

For many of us here, video game music is viewed as something special and, in a way, makes us feel unique from others that prefer the mainstream music that can be heard on the radio. On the other hand, however, if video game music were to become mainstream, might that take away from what we view as special and unique?

Despite the growing popularty of video game music, a majority of people still don't listen to it, perhaps even ridiculing those that do based on some narrow-minded view, but often times we may think that because of this, they are the ones that are missing out, and this adds further support to what we consider to be unique.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for video game music becoming more popular and available to the masses, I just sometimes wonder if I'd be pursuing it the same way if it were to be considered mainstream. Interestingly enough, before I started listening to video game music, there were many genres of music that I simply wasn't interested in. It wasn't until after I started to really listen to video game music that I came to appreciate these other genres. Perhaps if I viewed video game game music as just any other type of music, I might not have developed such an interest in...orchestral or synth-pop or...ect.

Anyway, I just thought that this would be an interesting topic here. Feel free to discuss your opinon on the matter.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.