View Single Post
Old Mar 9, 2010, 05:26 PM

I agree we can handle this on a case by case basis, but I'm personally not a big fan of using 'Involvement' as the standard, because this kind of information is hard for us to get, and even if available, how to treat it is still very subjective. More importantly, I'm not a big fan of seeing one official release on the artist's main discography and the other official release on the featured on discography with Doujin albums, when both albums seemingly has no new composition from the composer anyway.

On Nobuo Uematsu discography, it's safe to say Uematsu was involved in FFIII DS because he gave the arrangers advises according to the interview, but not sure he has any involvement in Dissidia, but I don't like to push Dissidia into the crowd of orange albums while the status of both albums for casual Nobuo Uematsu fans are not so different. I don't think FFIIIDS is a perfect example because one can argue Uematsu must have had the involvement in the arranging and recording session of the opening FMV track or the BLM track, but that's not my point.

It's obvious the classic composers aren't involved in any VGM releases, but only a fine line exists between being dead and being retired. I can swear Yasunori Shiono isn't involved in Estpolis Original Soundtrack because Shiono had already retired and he and his wife even didn't know about the announcement of the remake until they were told by his fan. I think we can prepare another rationale on why classic composers have to be set to 'featured' (e.g. from the other genre) other than because they passed away long ago (although I know some people have problem with subsequent additions to the dead composer's discography having after the death).