View Single Post
Old Oct 13, 2020, 03:00 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Some almost-complete-but-not-quite:
- Neo Contra: missing 10-15 tracks, should have been a 2CD release
- Unreal: 3 releases, none good enough
- Shin Megami Tensei 3: missing some cool cutscene tracks and moody dungeon themes (plus battle riff variations).
- Flower, Sun and Rain: there are two albums that are nice enough together (if unordered) but miss some good stuff like the ending or vocal arranges. There were hints about making a full OST around the DS release, then Masafumi Takada left Grasshopper.
- Devil Summoner Kuzunoha Raidou 1: missing the main battle theme. You know, the song that plays the most in the game (it was included in a sampler so they left it out, lame).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_Chaser View Post
I have the Natsume/Taito and I was devastated. When the game reappeared with an arrange soundtrack it seemed to pretty much copy paste the same soundtrack. The music in general sounds muffled and as if it's recorded under water. The balance in sound is off and overwhelmed by the bass and drums. I would redirect you here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsdB...9&index=2&t=0s

That is a fan "remaster" that got it right. Compared to the so-called official releases this version is crisp, clear, balanced and what I was hoping for in an official soundtrack release. The bass and drums here are strong but not overwhelming as the official releases.
The OST sounds basically like a SNES (aka muffled 32khz), while that youtube link is just .spc using the plugin's "high quality" mode (aka fake 48khz with changed filters), so I don't think the OST is inadecuate.