View Single Post
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:59 AM

Default Welcome to version 2!

I'm proud to announce the release of version 2 of remixSite, after 150 hours of effort and 3000 lines of coding. The major feature in this release is compos.

Anyone can host, enter, and vote on compos. There are two help pages available on the site that describe compos, the first of which is available at http://www.remixsite.org/help/helpCompoOrganizing. Compo submissions and voting take place within set periods, which can be modified by the host. The host can post announcements and upload images pertaining to the compos. Voting is conducted anonymously through a toplist-like mechanism where the songs can be rated in order. The host decides whether the results are displayed in real-time or when they will eventually be displayed.

There's one more feature that I did not include in this release, the ability to limit the number of votes per person per compo (for example, so that each person has only one vote or only chooses the top 3 songs), but that's simple enough and will be in the next release. Some other things that will be useful are the ability to limit votes or submissions to a list of users, and an Excel export of all votes. If you start a compo now, these issues will likely be able to be added before voting begins on the compo.

There are also a few stability and cosmetic changes in there, and I tweaked the playlists feature to make sure that it works on more browsers. If you weren't able to play playlists before, try again now and you can listen to all the top songs of the day in order. The playlists will likely also be useful for listening to all the songs of a compo.

Hopefully, somebody will decide to organize a compo to test out the new system. As always, comments are welcome.

Last edited by quintin3265; Jan 16, 2010 at 11:37 AM.