View Single Post
Old Apr 7, 2020, 09:50 PM

I tried my hand at translating the titles into English, but I'm still pretty uncertain about a lot of them, so if there's anyone more well-versed in translating that be willing to look these over that would be very much appreciated.

Firstly, there's the title, "ナチスなCD." I'm pretty sure this would just translate to "Nazi CD," correct?
Just out of curiosity, is there any actual difference between saying "ナチスなCD" & "ナチスCD?" Most of the examples I could find didn't feature a "な" between their title and "CD" which was why I was curious.

04: "華麗なる宣戦布告" this title appears to be referring to a line from episode 4 where this track plays. The English subtitles for said line being "A splendid declaration of war."
However in a Japanese transcript that I looked through (assuming that it's accurate) the line is instead written out as "すてきな宣戦布告だ." I'm uncertain if this alters the meaning in any substantial way or not.

05: "大隊兵諸君" During the scene where this track is used (the Major's war speech,) the dub verbally translates "諸君" as both, "my friends" and "gentlemen," however the subtitles exclusively translate it as "my friends."
Thus, I think "大隊兵諸君" might be something like "My Friends, Soldiers of the Battalion/Battalion Soldiers" or "Soldiers of the Battalion/Battalion Soldiers, My Friends?" Granted, "Gentlemen, Soldiers of the Battalion" might sound a little bit better in English.

08: "戦争の夜へ" = I think this one would be "To the Night of the War" or maybe just "To the Night of War?"

09: 進軍序曲 I think this would either be "March Overture" or "Marching Overture," maybe even "Overture March?" I'm actually not sure which of these wordings would be more grammatically correct in English.

10: "幻覚 mix 強制終了" I'm not too sure about the title for this one, but "幻覚" should be either "hallucination" or "illusion" and it seems like "強制終了" means something along the lines of "Forced Out" or "Forced Termination?"
Additionally, I'm uncertain if there's any significance to "mix" part already being written out in English or not.

11: "英国進軍歌" This is episode 4's ending theme, "英国" can be translated as "United Kingdom," "Britain" or "England" and "進軍歌" should either be "March Song" or "Marching Song."
This track is actually a real life song and was apparently one of the most sung German military songs during WWII. The original song is titled "Das Engellandlied" ("The England-song") and was composed by Herms Niel with the words being taken from the poem, "Wir fahren gegen Engeland" ("For we are sailing against England" or "For we sail to take on the English") by Hermann Löns, from what I can find it seems that the poem was released as part of a collection titled "Der kleine Rosengarten" in 1911. With that in mind I think that "England" would be the most appropriate pick for "英国." Thus, this one should either be "England March Song" or "England Marching Song," but again, I'm not sure which phrasing is more proper in terms of grammar.

12: "赤旗と黒禍" I think this one would be "Red Flag and Black Plague?"

14: "北春日部老人会音頭" I know "音頭" is "ondo" which is a type of Japanese folk music and from what I can gather "老人会" appears to mean something along the lines of "Senior/Elderly Club/Association?" That just leaves "北春日部," which I think is supposed to be "North Kasukabe," "Kasukabe" (春日部市) being a city located in Saitama Prefecture, Japan. The track title itself is referring to the group of elderly Japanese people on a tour of the museum that the main cast is in near the start of episode 3 which is also where said track plays, hence they only logical deduction I can make is that said tour group is from the northern area of Kasukabe, but I could be completely off base. Also, is there any official source for the origin of this particular title? I do see it listed on the Japanese Wikipedia page and it does seem to be used as the title for a couple videos on Niconico as well, but to my knowledge it's not featured anywhere on the CD or in the box set.

These following tracks are clearly intended to be written out in German, but here's English translations of them anyway in case anyone was curious.
01/13: Der Freischütz Nr.2 Terzett mit Chor = The Marksman/Freeshooter No. 2 Trio with Chorus
02: Letzte Bataillon = Last Battalion
03: Feuerkreuz = Fiery Cross
06: Der Freischütz Nr.9 Terzett = The Marksman/Freeshooter No. 9 Trio

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Apr 8, 2020 at 04:45 PM.