View Single Post
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:10 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
It's still piracy, and I'm always boggled by those who claim to be vehemently against piracy yet fully support the practice of making a digital copy and selling the disc, while keeping the copy. It's really NOT any different than just going and DLing a copy by itself, the end result is that someone has a copy which they don't have ownership of the item (as in the case of ripping and selling, they transfered ownership by said process).
I don't see how buying an album, ripping it, and then selling it onwards is an act of piracy? I mean, I don't see no copyright infringement on that, unless we're talking some finer parts of some silly piracy laws. But then, it's slippely slope from there onwards.

But I myself do understand dancey's point about selling an album to someone who's just gonna use that sweet little album, instead of gently taking care of it. Wouldn't you want your cds to get a nice home, instead of someone who's just gonna dump them on the road after they've had their fun with it?

And I do share music that I've bought with people, mostly with people I do talk with or know somewhat, I hate getting random requests out of the blue (thankfully I haven't gotten so much, pro's of having somewhat 'standard' collection!), especially if they're just trying to get some 'rarer' stuff in some other format than oh-so glorious mp3. But for people like that, I tend to be polite and shove them under a moving train with my replies. And forward those pm's onwards.