View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2013, 08:42 AM

*BUMP*

Two I noticed recently:

Persona 4 Arena - This should be THE reference CD for how VGM rock should be recorded. HUGE soundstage, beautifully layered and immaculately detailed. Even the bass stands out beautifully in the mix. Also recorded at a nice, low volume, so I can crank as needed. A lot of material on here is (to me) a tad generic, but is just plain fun to listen to mostly because of the sound quality. I notice a lot of Meguro's rock is generally well-recorded (SMT3, P3 and P4 OST).

Rockman Boxset 1-6 - I've been listening to a lot of chiptunes recently and I have to turn some of them down to the highs being a little too piercing. Not sure how to describe it, but this box doesn't have any kind of issue like that. In fact, it is like the highs are rolled off slightly. Not to sound like an audiokarma nerd, but the tracks have a warm, detailed, almost-analogue type sound (not the coldness a number of chiptunes tend to have). I just went over the whole Megaman 2 OST with my analytical ear monitors (which tend to be a little too bright sometimes) and it was a rocking good time with these. In contrast, the Kunio Kun set is detailed, but very fatiguing to listen to.