View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleJCrb View Post
The difference is, Paragon (not so much zircon, to stick with your examples) is a respected member of The Shizz. Newbies rarely get treated well on forums where the community is so entrenched. The response to your post there is pretty much par for the course for almost ANYTHING at The Shizz, especially when it's posted by someone who hasn't shown themselves to be involved with the community they've built there. Shizz can be a harsh place if you're not prepared and haven't adjusted to their mentality, and I'm really not surprised at the responses there. That's just how they are.
That does not make this response right, though. Just because something is the way it is doesn't mean that it should be that way. While most Shizz members reading this thread will undoubtedly agree with your point of view, 9 out of 10 people from the outside world would likely have a different opinion. I disagree with the Shizz members in that everyone should be a respected member of the community, unless (s)he does something to prove otherwise.

The Shizz is, indeed, a nasty place. I tried to talk some sense into people in a thread that shawnphase posted a while back titled "stop junking up the Shizz," but people simply ridiculed what I had to say. That's why I stopped posting there unless I absolutely have to. They may not want to change, but I also don't have to be a part of that hatred either.

It's really a shame. If this site fails, it will be my last project that involves the Internet, and I'll probably try making a film next. While cliquishness exists in real life, outside of middle school I've never met people like some of the posters in that original May 8 thread on the Shizz. The Internet has so much promise, but it also seems to bring out the worst in people

As to shawnphase's comment about compos, I want to reiterate that I can't do everything in the two (sometimes one) day(s) per week that are available. Other people need to organize compos because I can't fix bugs in the site and organize compos at the same time. Besides, what kind of community would it be if I'm the only person who ever posts anything?