View Single Post
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintin3265 View Post
1. Not a single song was ever added from Overclocked ReMix to this site that was not also on another site, so it is irrelevant whether you deny permission or not. You never bothered to check. Why weren't these songs republished? Because you had already published them and I wasn't trying to compete with your site.
"Since zircon said it is also acceptable to upload the entire Overclocked ReMix canon, I'll do that sometime tomorrow." ... that certainly sounded like a plan to upload everything. I didn't need to "bother to check" - your own words clearly described your planned actions, right here. I noticed that your latest post originally read that you "never had plans" to do so, but then you edited it. Good call on that edit, but your original statement is still present above. Perhaps you should go ahead and edit that, too, except that VGMdb probably keeps database backups, and vBulletin tracks edit history. The safest way to avoid contradicting yourself and/or being in a position where you feel compelled to revise history is to not make statements you'll regret in the first place.

Quote:
2. Had I published the Overclocked ReMix archive, it wouldn't be legally enforceable unless you changed your republication policy to apply equally to all sites.
No idea what you're talking about; our content policy at http://ocremix.org/info/Content_Policy clearly states "OverClocked ReMix reserves the right to terminate this license at any time." In general, we want to allow people to redistribute these mixes - individually - in situations that are supportive and non-commercial. Not batch-add the aggregate to up your SEO.

Quote:
3. The songs that were added were checked to ensure they originated from sites that had republication policies. The other 2000 songs in the archive I could not source were never published.
Jake Kaufman has already addressed this point in a private email, if you're referring to VGMix.

Quote:
4. Other sites, such as vgmixarchive.com, have republished your works without your permission, but you have not taken action against those sites.
To my knowledge this is not true; anything on that site was independently submitted by artists to vgmix.com when it was active. If you know of specific examples, please describe them. Otherwise this is an unfounded allegation against VGMix.

Quote:
5. It is hypocritical for you to make a big fuss about artists controlling works. You do not delete works even when artists request their deletion. I have allowed every single artist who has ever requested works to be deleted to remove theirs, before this and in this instance.
We manage a canon of controlled works - you yourself referred to it as a canon when you mentioned your plans to add all of it to your site, above, and then turned around and denied any such plans - so this suggests you understand the nature of how we do things. While the removal policy may not be loved by all, our entire content policy was established & revised transparently, with full community discussion. Artists weighed in, there was a back and forth, and the policy was improved because the community discussed it.

This is what it means to have a community. You listen, you don't always agree, but it's a dialogue. It's not about batch-uploading tons of files, and it's not about SEO, and it's not about Google Analytics, and it's not about power grabs, and it's not about ignoring the facts when virt, Rama, and I - VGMix, ThaSauce, AND OCR - all try to explain that you're being unethical and inconsistent.

I'm personally recommending to VGMdb staff that, based on your actions, responses, and behavior, they do as much as possible to distance VGMdb - an excellent, revered resource - from you.

They do great, difficult work here, and have built a genuine community from the ground-up. That doesn't seem consistent to me with the way you've chosen to go about things.

Last edited by djpretzel; Dec 5, 2012 at 08:52 AM.