View Single Post
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:42 PM

They are representations of Japanese pronunciations, which is why I feel they should remain as such. Changing the pronunciation of a name in a tracklist made to represent the name's pronunciation to something another country thinks the name is makes very little sense to me. I'm not under the impression that romaji tracklists are intended for any sort of audience that is looking for anything besides pronunciations, is going to be confused by pronunciations, or wants a "nice and clean" translated tracklist.

Plus, these names can pop up in different forms in different places. When I see stuff like "Rahzel" in a romaji tracklist, I have to wonder what source this is coming from, especially when we're dealing with media like this, an anime: is it a fan translation? Did *most people* just figure this to be "rahzel", when it could just as easily be "razel"? (Again, not the case here, but in many anime or games which weren't released outside Japan, it is.)

Furthermore, some tracklists include blatant romaji conversions which we aren't going to fix. Theme of Adoru? Seriously? Sure it's in plain English, so we shouldn't change it, and if we wanted an English tracklist, we should write Theme of Adol, if we were translating from アドル. But we don't want an English tracklist in this case, we want a romaji one. There's also ActRaiser, which includes its own romaji tracklist. Do we override theirs? Needlessly include a second one?

Aah, anyway, I'm probably in the minority again, I just don't see the good in including non-romaji in a romaji tracklist, however ridiculous it may seem. If ridiculousness is a reason to change things, then we'll start changing spelling errors and typos in booklet tracklists next because they're ridiculous. It's the nature of romaji to be slightly ridiculous, I think.