View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
Is there any anecdote about this? I saw somebody posting that Mitsuda said in his forum he declined the project for some reason. It's no surprise the composer avoided it for the alleged internal conflict and the string of the staff departures.
Takahashi stepped down from his lead role for both Episode II & III, while another director and producer took the helm. Several other changes were made to staffing. It seems that Mitsuda, along with Kaori Tanaka (Soraya Saga) and Kunihiko Tanaka, were not even asked back (all are and were freelance at the time) for Episode II. Soraya reported on her blog that she was not asked to return (although she insists there were no hard feelings about this), and she also confirms Kunihiko Tanaka was not asked.

http://xenoverse.xenotensei.com/hist...eno_part03.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
This is quite negative. Have you read the Iwaka Asks you are also referring to? They explained how and why Takahashi chose Shimomura originally, then Mitsuda for the theme song, then even more composers for the rest of the BGM because they needed to produce a lot of music.
Yes, I've read it, and that's exactly what I was referring to. Think about it. Shimomura was brought in for a change of pace, but only ended up contributing a very small portion. It was always the intention to hire other composers to fill in the gaps. I'm not intending it to sound negative, but the relatively inexperienced Kiyota surely was the cheapest (as in, least expensive) of the six composers hired. I find it no coincidence that she did the most music.

It begs many questions: Why didn't Shimomura do the whole score? If it was too much, why wasn't the score divided evenly? Or even, sort-of evenly? The track assignments are completely lopsided.

Quote:
It could be the same with Sawano now. Why would he necessarily have to work with the same people again and again?
Of course I don't begrudge a creator their choice of composer. In this case, I am recognizing that a Takahashi x Mitsuda collaboration has always been a good one, so why fix what's not broken? I just thought it would be a wonderful opportunity to get Mitsuda back for a full JRPG soundtrack, especially considering his relative absence in Episodes II & III, Xenosaga DS, the anime, and Xenoblade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
Takahashi is credited as executive producer in the trailer, that's usually the farthest someone can be involved in a particular development. It's usually the kind of credit the company/studio's head gets (like Iwata does for all Nintendo developed/published games)...

Appears to be the same difference. E.g. Platinum Game's head Inaba goes by that title.
In another Iwata Asks, Takahashi uses the term "General Director", which I assume is the same as his role on this Wii U project. Contrary to your description, Takahashi described how he was involved in every aspect of Xenoblade's development, from story to event planning to graphics to audio.

It's true this has gone off-topic, and I have to admit a lot of responsibility for that. Much of this discussion doesn't belong in this thread, and I apologize to fans of Sawano if any of my comments have offended.