View Single Post
Old Dec 23, 2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
if there aren't enough entrants to guarantee a minimal prize, then no money or reviews will be collected.
But would there still be a contest?

Hmm... well, I'll be honest, when I first read this I was totally against the idea. Since discussions with my friends we were all confused about where the prizes were coming from and it seemed pretty apparent that something would either have to change or that there was something secretive going on behind this site, but it makes sense now and I don't think there's too much of a downside provided 2 things:

1) That Chris goes for this idea. As competitors of game music, we should be able to review tracks without too much trouble, but will Chris really go for this idea? You're getting paid 'cause he likes the quality of your reviews, right? That would more than likely change if we were doing the reviews... so, I take it you would be checking them and seeing which ones to upload... would those that aren't chosen have to pay to enter the competition still?

2) People might not want to compete if they have to pay or work in order to do it, especially if they think they're chances of winning is pretty low. I suppose maybe if we were to do this, there should be more winning positions in the comp and the prizes should be smaller overall. That increases the chance that if someone enters every competition that they'll eventually win something. The way things are now, most of us would just be throwing money away. Instead of having 1st place, 2nd place and most improved, maybe we should have 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place and most improved. It's only a small change, but it makes a difference.

The incentive isn't lost by having no prizes nearly as much as it is lost by having to pay to enter the competition, which I think is important to note. I could buy a cheap keyboard for $12. :P But writing the reviews sounds okay and isn't too much to ask at all, so if that option exists, this could work really well.

Overall, I think this is beneficial. We, as composers, will be learning how to look at music even more objectively and see how we can avoid making similar mistakes and how we can improve our music. There'll still be prizes in the comp, so interest will probably only increase over time. The more interest > the more competitors > the better the prizes,music and reviews > the more interest> the more competitors > etc.

Yeah, I think this sounds good.