View Single Post
Old Dec 24, 2019, 06:53 AM
Trusted Editor

Default Best releases of 2019

And here it is, on time for Christmas. Well, at least in my timezone. I decided to keep things bit simpler compared to 2018. There is a top 5, the good (in no particular order), the rest and the unknown (things I still plan to listen). In general I had the impression that 2019 was a bit lacking in terms of soundtracks, and in particular VGM.

Here is the 2018 thread for reference. Maybe I can find some time to update that one in the coming days. Still had a lot of unlistened albums when I last posted there.

The Top 5:

SQEX-20063 | Xenogears 20th Anniversary Concert -The Beginning and the End-
The BluRay release that almost didn't happen. I'm glad it did, just for the encore alone.

SQEX-10727~9 | Chrono Orchestra Arrangement Box
Has one of the the best arrangement of Schala's theme. The only downside is the length and the price. However I can't complain about quality here.

SQEX-10714 | Kingdom Hearts Orchestra -World of Tres- Album
Gave us a glimpse of what might come with a potential KH3 soundtrack release -- should it ever happen.

SQEX-10704~5 | Piano Collections Final Fantasy XIV
My surprise album, as I could never get into the music for XIV. Just too much material and no real emotional attachment. The piano collections felt like it boiled down this massive thing onto two discs, while still keeping things coherent.

SQEX-20060 | Bra★Bra Final Fantasy VII: Brass de Bravo with Siena Wind Orchestra
We could already hear some of the arragements in 2018 on the CD release, but seeing the orchestra playing really adds so much depth. Also Cait Sith's Theme is simply hilarious.

The Good:

SQEX-10721~2 | Oni no Naku Kuni Original Soundtrack
Not on the same level as Another Eden, but still enjoyable.

SRCL-9996 | Wild Arms: Million Memories Original Soundtrack
I expected to see Naruke a bit more on this album, but not complaining. The other composers also do a good job. Overall length is OK as well.

KECH-8081~2 | Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness and the Secret Hideout Original Soundtrack
Ryza slims things down by going back to two discs, but improves production quality by use of a lot of live instrumentation.

KECH-8078~80 | Atelier Lulua ~The Scion of Arland~ Original Soundtrack
Pretty standard Atelier, with a lot of arranges of tracks from other games. I can't complain since Ken Nakagawa returns, who still remains my favorite ex-Gust Sound Team composer.

CNVG-0001 | Symphonic Tale: The Rune of Beginning (Music from Suikoden II)
I can't help to compare this one with the JAGMO box from 2018.

NCRS-0024~5 | Libra of precatus Original Soundtrack
Took me a while to get into this. Not a fan of Sakamoto's tracks but Ito and Fujioka make up for it. Some of the tracks feel reminiscent of early Hamauzu.

N/A | Anno 1800 Original Game Soundtrack
Never left my playlist after I added it in April. Surprised myself since I never really cared for any of the Anno music before.

NMP-0002 | Suite Ihatovo Story for Piano Solo
Recommendation by Teioh. I guess he sometimes also gives good ones

The Rest:

KECH-8074~6 | Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists ~Ateliers of the New World~ Original Soundtrack
Forgettable. Feels more like a best-of-album.

INTIP-008~9 | Dragon Marked For Death Original Soundtrack
Tiring. Didn't manage to finish...

N/A | LoveR Original Soundtrack
Constant deja-vu/hear effect. Iwadare-san, please score some RPG again. Or make some original work album with Reiko Tsuchiya again.

SQEX-10700 | Left Alive Original Soundtrack
Cannot tie in with the Front Mission series. AFAIK the game also failed to live up to expectations.

N/A | A Plague Tale: Innocence Original Soundtrack
Heavy. Can imagine for this to work inside the game, but not as stand-alone.

N/A | Control Original Game Soundtrack
Same feelings as with Quantum Break. Still makes me want to play the game.

SQEX-10730 | Square Enix Acoustic Arrangements
I guess it's just not my cup of tea. Feeling more at home with these jazz arrangement albums SQEX has been releasing lately.

The Unknown:

KBCI-0008~13B | Kirby Star Allies: The Original Soundtrack
Never cared much for Kirby music, but this one looks huge. Hopefully doesn't turn out like BOTW...

SRIN-1162 | Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown Original Soundtrack
Now here's another one that might move to the top 5 list.

030116NM | Fantasy Worlds / Benyamin Nuss
Interesting tracklist.

CPCA-10461~5 | Devil May Cry 5 Original Soundtrack
Another 5-disc album. I think I might just skim over it, given that I haven't any connection to the series.

SQEX-10706~7 | Final Fantasy Brave Exvius Original Soundtrack Vol. 2
I never found Exvius as exciting as some other people, but hey -- there must be a reason why there's a second volume now.

COCX-40805~6 | Princess Connect! Reive Original Soundtrack
Pretty big case of composers, however I might maybe just listen to the tracks by Yasunori Nishiki.

BWL-HAC-ANVYA-JPN | Fire Emblem: Three Houses Sound Selection
I keep hearing that Three Houses is apparantly the best Fire Emblem ever released. Fact?

SRIN-1161 | Soulcalibur VI Original Soundtrack
Another series which I never cared for, and another big (4 discs) release this year.

SQEX-20069 | Shadowbringers: Final Fantasy XIV Original Soundtrack
See my comment about the piano collections.

CPCA-10467~9 | Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Original Soundtrack
MH is like FF14, too much stuff coming out. However I've heard good things about the game. Might give this one a try.

N/A | Code Vein Original Sound Track
I have been pretty disappointed with GE3, the album felt rushed and unfinished. Now that Code Vein has also received the enclosure bonus treatment, I'm beginning to see a pattern...

SMRC-1041 | Indivisible Original Game Soundtrack
Might be just me, but hasn't it been quite a while since we have last seen a full game soundtrack by Kikuta?

VICL-65275~7 | Persona Super Live P-Sound Street 2019 ~Q-ban Theater e Youkoso~
To be totally honest, I don't have any idea how that one ended up in my list.

SQEX-20071 | Octopath Traveler Break, Boost and Beyond Live!
I love the OST for Octopath Traveler (see the 2018 thread), but I couldn't care less for Break and Boost. IMO it doesn't add anything to the music. I hope maybe the live does.

VICL-65296~8 | Another Eden Original Soundtrack 3 Complete Edition
Recycling of leftover material?

What do you think about 2019? Let us know your list of best VGM releases in 2019!