View Single Post
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:27 PM

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word hurt.

EDIT: To really clarify what I mean here: when a publisher produces 500 copies of something and 20 people buy it and everyone else downloads a rip of it, that is hurting the publisher. They spent the money not only to make the soundtrack, but to print 500 copies of it, and made very little money back on it. They probably didn't even make profit (though I don't know how much it costs to produce this kind of stuff, but you see what I mean). That is hurtful.

What you're talking about is your collector-penis. It grows when you buy something you think is rare. Mine grows as well - no homo or anything. But it does. I own Cosmic Psycho, Flame of Recca, Shizuku... etc, and I like owning those things because they are obscure limited edition items, much like the ones you have listed. But when you say you'd "get the feeling" to lower their value, well, that's just your little feeling; it is literally in your mind. And it's not hurting you. Maybe it's shrinking the size of your collector-penis a little, but that isn't hurting you. That's just you wanting to stroke your collector-penis. Also, I can disagree with you and say that it doesn't decrease the value of owning the physical copy because a digital copy is never equivalent to owning a physical copy; if it were, we wouldn't buy physical copies. So it's not really "hurting" you, ilef. Again, I sympathize with collecting and owning cool stuff, but it doesn't have anything to do with whether or not there's grave loss done to the producers of music when they've sold every copy they printed of something and then somebody downloads it afterward. Obviously there isn't, because... they sold every copy they printed. So, this moral high ground doesn't really have much basis in reality.

Last edited by Hellacia; Sep 30, 2011 at 01:13 PM.