View Single Post
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:49 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
@KeyLogic: I don't watch TV. I don't even own a television.
TV is dieing anyways and the internet offers convenience but I think the same applies to online commercials and their increased volume, but it's irreverent in this thread, so...not sure why I mentioned it. :P

Quote:
I can't figure that out. Which limit do you mean? The limit of representable frequencies is imposed by the sampling theorem that I stated above. For redbook this is 22050Hz (the commonly accepted human hearing range is from 20Hz to 20000Hz, that's one reason for the choice of a 44100Hz sampling rate).
Sorry, KeyLogic was not clear. KeyLogic was speaking specifically about the peak db (0db). It's possible to increase the volume beyond that point but in most cases it results in distortion. A common method of reducing this distortion is to apply compression but if it's not done correctly, this is where you may hear that "muffled" sound that I mentioned earlier. Now KeyLogic can imagine that, prior to remastering, portions of some songs might already near that db limit, and then to add more loudness and compress the overall signal....

The best way that KeyLogic can think to describe it is that without compression, all you'll hear is distortion. With compression applied to the overall signal, the sounds from the various instrument, when exceeding the db limit, will start to bleed into each other and it becomes harder to distinguish one instrument's sound from the others.

Remastering techniques can certainly have a positive effect (ex: Ragnarok Online Complete Soundtrack > Ragnarok Online Original Soundtrack) or at other time they seem to have no effect (Soul Calibur II Original Soundtrack -vs- Project Soul the Primary Sound Box -Soul Edge ~ Soul Calibur I & II-), but perhaps some composers/labels may go a little overboard with it and this can result in the 'bad' sound that many of you have pointed out.

Sorry if KeyLogic is not making much sense today, he has not slept.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.