View Single Post
Old Apr 7, 2021, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingAbyss View Post
There's something about track 1.59 "エンディングデモ後" which has been bothering me, how exactly is it meant to be read? I've come across a handful of titles (mainly from SNK games) which use "後デモ," but this is the only track I've ever seen where it is instead written as "デモ後." For example, according to the official translations from some digital SNK OSTS we have things like "ボス後デモ" being "After Boss Demo" or "アーデルハイド後デモ" being "After Adelheid Demo." As a result I'm unable to discern if "エンディングデモ後" is intended to be "Demo After Ending" or "After Ending Demo."

As show here, the track in question does play shortly after the credits (aka the "Ending Demo,") so the title might just mean that it's the track that plays after the ending demo, but it could potentially be referring to the brief scene after the credits where Dracula as a bat escapes from the ruins of his castle which itself would be a demo after the ending. However, the track doesn't actually play during said scene, it instead starts immediately afterwards when "The End" appears.

On the topic of demos I was curious to know, are scripted segments also considered "demos?" As far as I know a demo can be a few things, a short playable segment of a game, pre-recorded gameplay footage or a cutscene, but I noticed a couple examples from the Metal Slug series (specifically 4 & 6) where they have tracks listed as "最終ボス後デモ" ("Demo After Last Boss",) but neither one is a cutscene like you'd expect. One is brief playable segment after defeating the last boss where you need to escape the facility which has initiated a self-destruct sequence the other also occurs after defeating the last boss only you instead need to survive for a certain amount of time as the last boss is now invulnerable and assaulting you with a barrage of projectiles which you need to either destroy or avoid.

Alternatively, from Castlevania: Bloodlines we have "Stage Clear with the Red Crystal (クリアデモ~パターンクリア BGM)" where "クリアデモ" would be "Clear Demo." This bit refers to the audio/sound effects which play when a Red Crystal appear after defeating a boss as shown here, does this too count as a "demo" despite it occurring in real time?

Additionally, this is a bit of an aside, but I was curious if anyone had any idea as to what the intended meaning for the below two titles are as neither appears to be proper English, those being "Road of Enemy" & "Thrashard in the Cave." In regards to the first one my best guess as to what they were trying to say is "Road to the Enemy" since it plays prior to initiating a boss battle. I suppose if it were written in Japanese it might have looked like "敵の道路" which would be Enemy Road or Enemy's Road, but I don't believe either of those would be proper English either. As for the second I'm uncertain if they meant to say "Thrashed" or not since baring this particular track the rest of the Castlevania Chronicles tracks (which are all in English) seem fine. Alternatively it could possibly be a portmanteau of "thrash" & "hard," but that would be quite odd. Looking online the only other example I could find for "Thrashard" was a track on the albulm, "Thrash Zone" by D.R.I.
Grammatically, エンディングデモ後 is "After Ending Demo." デモ in the context of games is a cutscene or short animation.

There are situations where knowledge of the second language user's first language can pinpoint exactly how a mistake was made, but I don't think this is one of them. "Thrashard" and "Road of Enemy" are a mystery known only to the mind that created them. My only guess for the former is someone overapplied the uncommon -ard suffix from words like coward, bastard, drunkard, luggard, etc.