View Single Post
Old May 10, 2022, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
Reminds me of when I had my own Yahoo Japan account and I sent google translated messages to sellers, resulting in instant bid cancellations, being blocked and left a message on my profile saying i was a pale ghost stealing japanese goods from the japanese people
My messages weren't even machine translated but they still sounded non-native enough to have the same things happen (block etc). I even got a "fuck you" once or was it 「ファックユー」, can't remember which but it was one of them. Generally though, I suspect 90% of the time, if Japanese sellers detect any hints of foreignness from you, they'll just give you the silent block treatment.

Occasionally, in the "ask seller a question" section, I find other foreigners begging Japanese sellers to sell to them. Some of them do it with broken Japanese. Some of them do it in English and I'm like, at least have the courtesy to use machine Japanese so they can actually read your shit.

Quote:
good memories of stuff i missed like that, or because i didn't pay within 23 hours and 59 minutes
Back when Yahoo Auctions was less automated (5+ years ago), if a seller had "pay within 3 days" in the auction terms, then you had better do that. If the item remains unpaid on the 4th day, the transaction will be cancelled, you'll be blocked and be given negative feedback. If the seller is lenient and allows you to pay on the 4th day, then they'll ship the item. And then you'll be blocked and be given negative feedback. These days, Yahoo Auctions is somewhat more automated/formalised and standard practice seems to be pay within 5 days of auction end.

Quote:
It's OK I'm fine with that, not blaming them for wanting to avoid non-japanese buyers, and that was in 2007-2010, seems like things are changing a bit. i still enjoy shopping there, but with an agent, to avoid surprise
The more savvy sellers will block the more well known proxies (sneaky gaijins) so you'll still need a backup plan here.

Quote:
Have anyone had any luck with Mercari's crap categories? There's no way to find game soundtracks, the best I can do is type a brand/series/company, or game name + music (in japanese), but I'm sure I'm missing listings this way...
I'm using the desktop website, I wonder if their android app has more settings?
Pretty form for a Japanese website like Mercari to not even have a category dedicated to VGM.

It's been a long time since I bought game music from eBay but it looks like they finally have at least some way to categorise game music CDs now.