View Single Post
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:59 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Clients can set the protocol level. So there is _no_ expectation here.

EDIT: Ah, I see you mean. So this would require a on-the-fly conversion of UTF8 to ASCII on the server, and that's not going to work unless one specifies to what non-ASCII characters are mapped to.
No, there should be no on-the-fly conversion. There shouldn't be any Unicode in an English tracklist. Period.

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone here is actually still using an OS which doesn't support unicode. Even W98 has Unicode support, and I honestly doubt that this is still in wide use.

Same applies to filesystem. FAT32 supports Unicode, NTFS as well.
Support for and actual implementation are two different things. If you don't have a Japanese code page installed then you're either going to get '??' characters (if your OS doesn't support Unicode or it's using the old Windows ANSI file system calls) or you're going to get two one byte characters instead of one two byte character, like '`%', etc. Regardless of whether the OS supports it, it's still up to whatever application to support Unicode and code pages, and on top of that you have to configure your OS to have the code page installed. You can't guarantee that always happens, so stick with ASCII because that is the vast, vast, vast majority of English users will be using.