View Single Post
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
As it turns out, in the earliest planning stages, Xenogears first was FF7 and then Chrono Trigger 2. Hironobu Sakaguchi was so intrigued by Takahashi and Soraya Saga's concepts for FF7 that he decided to give Takahashi his own team. Initially Chrono Trigger 2 was bounced around, but Xenogears ultimately was the product of the development. After Xenogears was completed, the dev team (which now largely compromises the development core of Monolith Soft) migrated variously to Threads of Fate, Front Mission 3, and the official Chrono Trigger 2, aka Chrono Cross
I remember hearing that it was the original idea for FFVII. The version I heard was that the concept was "too dark" for a Final Fantasy game. I've never heard that it was supposed to be Chrono Trigger 2, though.

Saga had worked on FFVI previously, particularly on the Figaro brothers' story, which is why it bears a resemblance to Bart's character in Xenogears. That's something that's pretty unquestionably her contribution.

Kato, if I remember correctly, wrote the Zeal section of Chrono Trigger, which is the part that is most connected to Chrono Cross.

Didn't some of the Xenogears/Chrono Trigger team stay at Square and work on FFXI?