View Single Post
Old Jun 3, 2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post

And speaking of Suikoden, really would have like to hear Higashino doing the fifth one, would probably had cemented the game in same status as I and II.
I'll extend this and say I wish Higashino had stayed with the entire series. Her music combined the best of both world music and classic game melodies. The folks that took over the series afterwards were pale imitations of her style and I found the blandness of III's OST particularly offensive. The first Genso Suikoden soundtrack should be a teaching tool for prospective RPG composers, right alongside the FFVI OSV, as it attempts just about everything and nails everything. This is one of my ultimate "what could have beens".

One of my longtime wishes would be a continuation of the Marvel vs Capcom soundtrack into Marvel vs Capcom 2 (I'm sure everyone knows the story here by now). 56 characters could have led to 56 amazing character themes, some new, some arranged. They did fix this for Marvel vs Capcom 3, but I hated the sound design...They made the music too edgey and modern (if we want to define "modern" as a bunch of thin, gritty synths and guitars). Similarly, I feel the Capcom vs SNK soundtracks were a total waste, concentrating on a small handful of bland stage themes, as opposed to the colorful and fun character themes that both Capcom and SNK were known for. Literally, I would have just stuck the traditional SNK team on this one and let them work their magic.

The Seiken Densetsu revival could have lead to a whole shit-ton of new Kikuta soundtracks. It didn't. And I was sad. Seiken 4 was particularly a waste of disc space, aside from some of the 4th disc. That said, I just pretend Alphabet Planet is a "proper" new Mana soundtrack whenever I put it on.

I truthfully can't tell most of the classic Rockman composers apart. However, I feel Makoto Tomozawa is criminally underused. I would love to see him get the reins for a full classic or X game. Strikeman (from 10) happily stands among my favorite Rockman tracks (no small feat) and Megaman Legends is a soundtrack I constantly return to (it has a lot of atmospheric tracks that don't bore me, again no small feat).

I've tried and failed many times to get into the "new" Phantasy Star soundtracks and each time, I either fall asleep or lose interest. It's too much bland music that just lingers in the background. My simple solution: Plug the classic Phantasy Star composers in there.

And lastly, anything with the name "Takeharu Ishimoto", I would completely gut and replace with someone else. ANYONE else. Square completely and totally lost me when this guy became one of their de-facto composers. Nowadays, there really aren't too many composers I outright hate, but this guy is one of them. I do feel similar about Mizuta (the best tracks I've heard from this guy are average at best) and would love to see something positive come out of all that FFXI music.

Last edited by GoldfishX; Jun 3, 2015 at 06:59 AM.