View Single Post
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
My latest pet peeve is the assholes who use this site to blatantly trade up their digital music collections by buying a cd, ripping it to some lossless format, then immediately reselling it on the marketplace to recoup their cost. it's blatantly obvious who the offenders are and I've sold some CDs to a few people who have received it and then immediately turned around and relisted it for exactly the same price a day later. Disgusting practice, but unfortunately this is the Internet. The only thing I can do is make a concerted effort to not purchase or sell to them.
I must say i don't find it a disgusting practice at all, i don't like it, but it may work wonders as a solution to occupied space:

1) The seller got the money he wanted/requested/etc..., hopefully. What the buyer does with the newly acquired item is none of his/her concern... anymore.
2) The buyer, as the defacto-new owner of the cd can do whatever he/she likes with it... If he/she feels like selling as soon as digital audio/package lossless copies have been made, the decision's up to him/her. No offence is being actually made, in the words of someone else around here which made me see things under a different light: the albums don't have any actual value, their only purpose is to store audio tracks/other kinds of data+occasional information/artwork in the booklets, therefore no one is actually being offended by that kind of practice, more like wanting to feel offended. We... as people/collectors... are the ones to give albums such things as importance, for various reasons, but that doesn't mean they actually are important. Anyway - The company/label got its money 'cause the album had been originally purchased by someone, the seller got the money wanted/requested for the trade, and the buyer ultimately ended with the album he/she wanted... albeit in a different kind of form. Everyone should be happy in the end.

There are different kinds of collectors spread around the world, with different needs.

Last edited by ilef; Jan 12, 2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Misplacement