View Single Post
Old Jan 2, 2011, 02:11 AM

Using personal pictures without permission is both an intrusion of privacy and a copyright issue. Using professional pictures without permission can be a copyright issue.

So both are potentially important, though it's the former that's most likely to cause personal grievances. The latter is unlikely to inspire personal upset, but can break policies (the Japanese game business is quite strict and bureaucratic in its administration).

For scans, I don't know what is new and old here, but I guess that's mostly an issue between sites and users, not companies.

I'm not sure how I can help here, though. The number of artists and photos featured here are overwhelmingly large that it's impractical to get permission for everything. It's probably just best to remove the personal pictures and then post a disclaimer / remove button for artists / companies to use. It's also often important the picture is sourced (including copyright owner, photographer, etc.).

As for the line, personal pictures include stuff drawn from Facebook, MySpace, most blogs, fan pictures, etc., etc. I'd deem professional pictures as those featured on an official webpage for a company, artist, or product, or the product itself. Those inbetween need to be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Last edited by Chris; Jan 2, 2011 at 02:17 AM.