View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2014, 04:21 AM
VGMdb Administrator

(Blitz Lunar was kind enough to provide the transcriptions in this post and so gets a million e-hearts from me.)

(Also I think you're using a notation where the octave starts at A? In this post I'm using scientific notation where the octave starts at C, so A4 is the A above C4.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonJXZ View Post
The Brinstar BGM from Super Metroid is in the key of E♭ minor. Its repeating background pattern - the accompaniment - consists of the following notes:

E♭4, B♭5, E♭5, E4, E5, D♭5
There are two distinct phrases that are used throughout the whole song: Eb4 Ab4 Bb4 Eb4 Ab4 Db5 and Eb4 Ab4 Eb5 Eb4 Ab4 Db5. Here they are isolated from the audio data: http://quiteajolt.com/vgmdb/brinstarred.mp3. Most of the song just repeats the second one over and over again.

I'm fairly certain there's no part where it goes up an octave and then back down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonJXZ View Post
The beginning of Heart of the Cave jumps around that idea at best. I believe the first part is in A minor? but actually I'm not a pro at identifying everything.

E4, B5, E5, F4, A5, D5 twice
This is E4 B4 E5 F4 A4 D5 | E4 B4 E5 E4 A4 D5.

It's up a half step but I feel like it compares much more favorably to the second of the two source phrases than you're suggesting. Differences underlined:

Brinstar: Eb4 Ab4 Eb5 Eb4 Ab4 Db5 | Eb4 Ab4 Eb5 Eb4 Ab4 Db5
Heart of the Cave: E4 B4 E5 F4 A4 D5 | E4 B4 E5 E4 A4 D5

And the rhythm is exactly the same, of course.

This is obviously a pretty light reference to the Brinstar tune (I'd call it a "cameo"), and if the artist hadn't said anything I might've chalked it up to coincidence, but given that Rozovian did say he used the song, I'm comfortable with calling it a deliberate reference. I hear it pretty clearly. ¯\(º_o)/¯