View Single Post
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 《J》 View Post
I wouldn't exactly blame that on the average Falcom fanbase only being familiar with newer games, most people also dismissed Ys V's music back in the day because they got too used to outsourced arrangements instead of Sound Team J.D.K.'s FM works on PC-98, to the point that Falcom's sound was considered synonymous with contractors such as Yonemitsu, Kishimoto, etc. It's just that most people associate Falcom's music with baseless labels such as "neoclassical rock", "buttrock" or "symphonic/prog metal" due to Yonemitsu, Kishimoto and Jindo kind of being one-trick ponies, to the point that people even used to say that the only stand-out Ys VI tracks were Release of the Far West Ocean, Mighty Obstacle and Ernst. I really wouldn't put the blame on Unisuga/"wanting more Sunshine Coastlines" when his range is wider and can also deliver delightful tunes like Aprilis and In Profile, On Belfry in the latest Ys entry. I also appreciate how he manages most of the time to get the job done in about 2~3 minutes instead of padding song length, makes his compositions feel more engaging.

I used to prefer Popful Mail on Super Famicom over Ys V (better/more varied instrumentation and sounds more spirited), but over the time (and after recently playing Popful Mail SFC) I came to appreciate the approach of Ys V's music. Ys V trades fast-tempo for compositions with complex accompaniment, giving it a different kind of intensity, but the Zundara rhythm is still present in tracks such as Field of Gale, Wind Knight and Charged Trial and Ys' music has just as much in common with classical music as metal. It admittedly has some blunders like Bad Species and they should have tried this approach on a new IP instead of giving Ys V an SNES/Square-ish feel, but most of the soundtrack has great composition work and even the weakest tracks have potential to sound better if remixed properly*. Favourites include most of the town/field/dungeon music, certain boss themes such as Turning Death Spiral and sentimental Kaneda pieces such as Niena, Forgotten City and Vanishing World.

Anyway, neat list with lots of diversity. Both The Legend of Xanadu games have some of the most impressive chiptune music on PC Engine.

*I don't expect Falcom to stick with Ys V's orchestral style for the inevitable remake, especially after the lukewarm reception of Sonoda's Anima Ergastulum in Ys IX. They'll probably give it some rock-oriented arrangements and replace some tracks with newer music. Inb4 boring Hollywood-esque orchestral Jindo arrangement.
You always impress me with your Falcom related assessments.

Interestingly enough, Popful Mail is the only game in the list I couldn't decide which version to represent. I love the PC-88, Super Famicom, and Sega CD versions all equally. Even the PC Engine version is great and has an amazing arrangement of Volcanic Zone. It's a shame the song fades out as the solo comes in though.

I can relate to what you are saying about Bad Species and how some songs had potential. Turning Death Spiral is definitely one of the highlights and that odd metallic sound at :17 always intrigued me for some reason.

Obviously I have a lot of love for the Legend of Xanadu games. The first one was a really big deal back then so I wonder why the soundtrack was released so late. I've deeply analyzed the music, the compositions, the quality, and Falcom definitely delivered.

Yet, I bet many people disregarded them because of those trash reviews on RPGfan that offend me every time I read them.