View Single Post
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoc View Post
I appreciate your extensive research about Super Smash Bros. Melee and agree that all composers didn't participate with new compositions, except Shogo Sakai and Hirokazu Ando. However, like Secret Squirrel said, it is interesting to keep these albums in regular discography.
Aren't those album titles in yellow? Besides, DX Orchestra is not an OST for Smash Bros. DX. It is a live orchestra performance, therefore it is an arrange album and not a primary soundtrack, meaning it is secondary compared to OSTs. OSTs are where true composers credits really go, and it's also where anyone with no base knowledge for VGM can learn about composers - by learning from the ground up. After seeing the OST, they then see how it extends into other arrange/tribute albums/doujins. This is why I think each composer involved in a VG should have a little VG resume (ala Wikipedia) on their page (in the lower-left corner) in order to swiftly cover their roles in each game (composer, arranger, performer, SE, etc) for those already covered (to gently introduce starting learners) as well as games not at all given OSTs (ala Takuto Kitsuta in Melee) in order to truly complete the database.

Quote:
If we follow this criterion, all composers in arranged albums should be marked as "featured", which I don't think is good. What is the difference between Dairantou Smash Brothers DX Orchestra Concert and Game Music Concert series? Both albums contains Nintendo orchestrated tracks in the same way. For example, in the first The Black Mages album, Nobuo Uematsu should be marked as featured because there is no new music from him on this, but I suppose that fans want to see it in regular discography.
Composers that shouldn't be featured on an arrange album are those who arrange their own tracks (ex. Manami Matsumae on Chiptuned Rockman (http://vgmdb.net/album/15342) [single track] and Motoi Sakuraba on this [whole album]: http://vgmdb.net/album/7184), as the artist being featured would no longer be the case due to being active through arrangement.

Otherwise, for arrange albums that have a special/bonus track, those who have original game BGM (ex. Super Mario Land: http://vgmdb.net/album/1478) [no new compositions] or a completely new/not from the game composition for said bonus track (ex. Toshihiko Horiyama in this: http://vgmdb.net/album/15029, where he, being a composer/arranger for Powered Up allows him to ascend past Setsuo, Makoto, Yuki, and Yuko, who did nothing for either of the two games) upgrade from being featured to being a normal composer.

The dark blue (Works) text exists solely to make these distinctions. Please check the bottom half of my previous rant post (aka my ace in the hole) for more.

Also, why does Final Fantasy get special treatment? The Black Mages is not an OST, nor is it particularly "canon" in terms of arrange soundtracks. The Black Mages are really just a tribute/officialized doujin band and nothing more.
MegaDriver would have essentially been SEGA's answer to that with just a few legal manuevers.

Lastly, at the end of the day, the search bar - the one, true absolute - finds EVERYTHING.

Quote:
In the case of the Disney / Squaresoft is different because the songs were originally composed for movies. It's the same as the Ennio Morricone in MGS4, since "Here's to You" is a song originally composed for "Sacco and Vanzetti" movie.
So how is outsourcing from a movie different from outsourcing from a game? It's all still outsourcing, with the works of others being showcased/featured by a group other than the original.

Quote:
For me, the ideal basically would be something like this for the third topic. I'm still in doubt with the songs of anime in games and vice-versa, but I find it interesting to keep especially in cases where the same franchise as the Dag said (which is not the case of Super Robot Taisen):
Movie composition -> game soundtrack (featured discography) -->Yes, unless movie and game are in the same set (ex. John Williams would be featured if Rogue Squadron I got an official soundtrack release, as his tracks had to be remade for the N64, but would be considered regular if Rogue Squadrons II or III got an official release, as his tracks are preserved in their original forms within those games; simply looped.)
Original work -> game soundtrack (featured discography) ---> Yes
Anime composition -> game soundtrack (regular discography) ---> Only if game and anime have a shared composer ala Kazunori Maruyama for Bomberman Jetters (the anime) and Bomberman Jetters Game Collection for the GBA (ported straight from his works).
Game composition -> anime soundtrack (regular discography)---> No; game tracks are often arranged from their original form (ex. The Pokemon anime uses no original BGM; VG and anime composers are also not at all the same (Junichi Masuda does not equal Shinji Miyazaki)
Reprise -> game original soundtrack (regular discography) --->Yes, if left completely alone; No, if edited by a later composer (I think the original composer would be left off that album at this point); Yes, if edited by a later arranger (as original theme is preserved)
Game composition -> official game arranged soundtrack with or without the involvement of the composer (regular discography) -->With, yes; without, no

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Mar 10, 2010 at 12:41 PM.