View Single Post
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:40 PM

Is the current way this romaji tracklist was changed considered the correct way? As in, should we change katakana like "razeru" (a character's name, in this instance) to "rahzel"? I got the romaji from JASRAC and followed the format I saw in the FFX soundtrack's romaji tracklist, but I realize that's a really old tracklist and obviously could need some updating. I have seen the "capitalize katakana words" format before, but that's not saying it's the "right" way to do it.

Of course there's a part of me thinks that stuff like razeru is kind of ridiculous, but I really think that a romaji tracklist should read like a romaji tracklist, and we should save translating stuff for English tracklists. Changing razeru to rahzel is essentially a translation in that you have taken the original Japanese word, ラゼル, and changed it to a different word to suit a different audience. And then there's the technical point you can make about it, that "rahzel" is actually not romaji at all, because the letter 'L' doesn't even exist when writing Japanese words, so these words aren't romaji words.

Anyway, I'd appreciate some people's thoughts on this.

Last edited by Hellacia; Mar 30, 2012 at 12:55 PM.