View Single Post
Old Apr 3, 2012, 09:37 PM

Gah, this just makes me sad. I'm trying to get over it. But we are putting English in a romaji tracklist, period, that is what we are doing. Rahzel is not romaji, it is English. An English tracklist satisfies the want to have her English name in a tracklist and that's what it is there for. If a character's name were spelled out in kanji in a Japanese tracklist, we wouldn't change the kanji in the Japanese tracklist to a romaji reading just because that's basically what it equals and it's easier for us to read. Yet that's literally what we're doing in the romaji tracklists: changing the romaji to English because it "looks nicer" and we think that romaji in a romaji tracklist "looks weird" (go figure that one). Guys, this is a ROMAJI tracklist! Sounding the character out phonetically, whether it's a kanji, kana, or whatever else, is ROMAJI. That's what romaji is. Rahzel is not romaji. There's no basis of putting English forms of ANY word written in Japanese characters in a romaji tracklist because they just don't belong. It's a translation. I don't know where this notion that razeru looks "weird" or "lame" because it's not, ラゼル is razeru just like 闇 is yami, 炎 is homura and の is no. In fact, the kana are even more absolute because 炎 can also be honoo and en. ラ is ra. ゼ is ze. ル is ru. Period.

I don't understand why we want to put non-romaji in a romaji tracklist, it's worse than calling any Garou Densetsu album "Fatal Fury" because it doesn't even aid anybody in any way, at least labeling an album like that would help somebody find it. I don't know what group of people is serviced by seeing English in a romaji tracklist. I don't know who could possibly be coming to a romaji tracklist to see non-pronunciations of Japanese words, instead hoping to find what is basically an English writing of someone's name. When I see that I think "Yeah, but wtf was the actual pronunciation of this name" because I may not agree with the spelling "Rahzel" if it's a fan translation or blah blah blah. Put it in the English tracklist so we can argue about it there. But the romaji tracklist is so clear-cut and dry, and there need not be any argument about whether it's Rahzel or Razel because the romaji of ラゼル is razeru.

I don't mean to personally attack anyone, I know that's just how we've done things, but it's seriously just wrong and baseless, other than "well it looks weird." It's romaji, it'll look weird, that's fine. That's why you make the ENGLISH tracklist nice and pretty with the ENGLISH names. I know romaji tracklists are stupid and shitty and no one adds them because no one uses them... but I CAAAAARE. I care that the few romaji tracklists we have make sense in the very basic way a romaji tracklist should make sense, and that is to contain romaji. Sure, like always, we won't change a name if it's in English already. If the original tracklist says Heartbreaking Romance, don't purposely change it to how romaji would sound it out in the romaji tracklist. But that is what is going to distinguish tracks already in English from tracks originally in katakana; the text in English will be in English and the text in Japanese will be in romaji.

(By the way, all my "Rahzel vs. Razel" arguments are given for example, I know that Rahzel is basically an official writing of her name in English. It's to show a point, there isn't always an official English name.)

EDIT: Just want to add that Rahzel no Theme makes zero sense whatsoever because now what we are seeing is actually all English words. So we're basically saying "Rahzel has no theme" in terribly broken English. This makes no sense technically or logically. But if I saw RAZERU no TEEMA it would be pretty obviously what I'm looking at: a romaji tracklist, with RAZERU and TEEMA being kana words and "no" being a kanji word.

Last edited by Hellacia; Apr 3, 2012 at 09:55 PM.