View Single Post
Old Apr 10, 2010, 01:12 PM

This is all stuff I've said before but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
With "doujin", I think this borrowed word is designed to cover the albums that have copyright-infringing materials on this database, but in Eastern it means pretty much anything published from doujin circles or through the doujin activity so even if it only contains so called Original Works or they pay a licensing fee to JASRAC or to respective copyright-holders, it's still seen as doujin. For instance, now doujin turns into the publisher type, we can see this album as doujin because it's published by a doujin circle, despite no association with specific products.
Yes, doujin releases aren't limited to arrange albums (would be nice if more people understood this) and albums such as the one you linked should be listed as doujin. It's not an issue having these albums listed as doujin because the content (classification) of the album is separate from the publisher type. We shouldn't be using publisher types to classify the content of albums.

Quote:
With "indies", I think in the broadest terms it means any publisher that isn't a large but still professional enough not to be seen as doujin such as SuperSweep, Basiscape Record, Cave, lots of Hentai labels but I think we normally consider those labels mentioned as "Commercial".
That's one thing it can mean yes, releases by independent labels. It's not limited to this use however.

Quote:
...but also because all of what little we've classified as "Independent" so far are something we previously considered as "Official" (now "Commercial"), and if the abolishment of "Independent" means we have to set them back to Official, I don't think we need to create "Doujin/Indie" to cover them.
They would become Doujin/Indie because that's what they are, doujin or independent (in this case the latter.)

The main point is that doujin music is a type of independently published music, it's redundant (and confusing) to treat it as a separate publisher type.