View Single Post
Old Mar 22, 2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnutz View Post
Can someone explain to me what arranged means? Looking at the FFXIII soundtrack, I see that Hamauzu composed everything, but others did some of the arranging. Does this mean Hamauzu wrote the music, but the others chose the instrumentation? or they did the actual synth programming?
As far as FFXIII goes, it depends on each case. The track-by-track commentaries on the Japanese official site (ten of which are translated in the EU promo album, but I think a couple translations are at least partially wrong, by the way) imply the role of those arrangers varies from the instrumental elaborations, the adjustments for the live instruments/orchestra, to the creations of almost a new track based on Hamauzu's original composition, like Hamauzu's own responsibility also varies from writing simple MIDI sequence date with only piano patches and letting others rearranging it (Hope's Theme") to the orchestration (2-18 "To Hunt L'Cie" which Hamauzu himself orchestrated and even wrote the score of). The tracks which seemingly have arrangers' greater responsibilities are "Chocobos of Cocoon - Chasing Dreams" which Yamazaki arranged based on the 23rd track of Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon Original Soundtrack and "Start Your Engines" which Toshiyuki Omori throughly arranged based on "Eidolons", but I think it's dangerous to judge their involvements only with those comments.