Thread: Notes Standard
View Single Post
Old Jan 6, 2012, 03:39 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
there's really no point setting a standard when there are already too many "standards" for album submissions
Well, we can always try to reach an agreement, and discussing your views here may make others reconsider theirs, so why not. Some of the fade-in help texts are modified based on these threads too.

Me, I use Myrkul's more or less, a mix of compact breakdown and extended info for vocal or complex credits where I feel appropriate.
I disagree the notes should copy *exactly* the album scans. IMO the aim should be "readable", having to scroll down five pages for credits is no good.

Some random suggestions:
- Try to credit with the booklet terminology to avoid subtle problems:
Ex this album said before
"Composed by: Aoi Yoshiki <1~10, 13~21>, Nobuyoshi Sano <11, 12>"
But the album actually says
"All songs written by Yoshiki Aoi. Except M-11, M-12 originally written by Nobuyoshi Sano (cavia.inc)"
It may look the same, but it isn't at all. The second is saying Yoshiki Aoi did "all the music" (not "composition") in the album, so basically 12/13 are arranges. Sano's are just reprises of Drakengard 1.

- If possible mark what info comes from external sources (in the notes, threads or a link labelled as "credits" or such). For example I may add to the notes:
Ex.- "Composer (from JASRAC/liner notes): ..."
I don't think having two separate sections is important/useful (I think composer credits first is preferable, even if not in the booklet), but when I think it's not so clear I try to make it so.

- Don't put track translations in the notes. One shouldn't have to sync them when the translation changes, what a pain.
Example, I just refer them as "M01".

- For disc credits, I think "2.01~04" is a bit more readable than "2-01~04" or "2-1~4", so I've been using it lately.

- Sometimes the notes try to mimic formatting using lots of indentation (example). Minor indentation is ok but no point on copying complex formatting with plain ASCII.