View Single Post
Old Sep 9, 2015, 05:00 PM

Default Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword composer discussion (all Hama tracks confirmed!)

I spoke with Hama via Soundcloud, and he confirmed every single one of his contributions! The good news for me is that all of my guesses were correct. The bad news is I didn't guess nearly enough! Many tracks which I had attributed to Fujii, Yokota, and Wakai were actually Hama's. He did roughly 49ish tracks (give or take a couple because of multiple versions of the same track).

Originally I was under the impression Hama only worked on cutscenes along with Yokota--that turned out to be false. Most of Hama's tracks are cutscenes, but some are BGM.

His versatility is also on full display here. I had previously only attributed the really sophisticated orchestral cutscene stuff to him, as well as some miscellanous electro-piano tunes. I was right about those, but it turns out he did a lot of the non-live orchestral stuff as well. In addition, a bunch of random area themes from the Knight's Academy to the Sand Sea. Totally unexpected, but it makes perfect sense when you listen to his contributions side-by-side.

The biggest bombshell was that he actually arranged the main theme--the one in the trailer. Though we know Wakai came up with the original arrangement, Hama orchestrated/arranged it further for live performance. Bombshell #2 is that he was responsible for the Groose and Fi themes.

Here is a complete list of Hama's work, using the track numbers and titles from the "Expanded" Skyward Sword rip:

104 Theme of Skyward Sword - Ballad of the Goddess (arranged/orchestrated)
107 Link's Nightmare - Premonition
109 Knight's Academy
112 Ballad of the Goddess ~Zelda Solo~
113 Zelda's Theme*
114 Groose's Theme
115 Groose's Insolence
116 Groose's Daze
118 Zelda's Theme (Light Version)*
121 Leaping from the Clouds*
125 Zelda's Theme ~Romance~*
126 The Wing Ceremony Ritual*
127 Tension
128 Link's Nightmare - Voice of Fi
129 Gaepora's Lament
130 Chasing Fi*
131 Fi's Theme
133 Call of Destiny - Fi's Theme*
134 Before the Journey*

204 Link's Nightmare - Illusion of the Imprisoned
213 Skyview Temple
222 The Spring Crest Activates*
223 Dance of the Goddess
228 Tubert's Theme - Theme of the Mogmas
229 Thrill Digger
239 Ballad of the Goddess (Short Version)
240 Memories of Zelda*

304 A Sudden Crashlanding*
305 The Enchanted Earth Below - Groose's Theme*
306 Grooseland - Groose's Daze
323 Shark Attack
336 Fun Fun Island
337 Skydiving

412 Lanayru Sand Sea
413 Ancient Lanayru
436 Lady of the Sealed Grounds*

502 Opening the Gate of Time
503 Groose's Change of Heart
509 Pumpkin Harvest
513 Bamboo Island
514 Bamboo Slicing
529 The Temple Appears
534 The Isle of the Goddess

602 The Hordes of Darkness
612 Triumph over Darkness
613 Link's Return
614 Conclusion - Fi's Theme
616 Eternal Gratitude - Fi's Theme
617 Impa's Farewell

*These were the ones I knew were his based on style. You can hear a clear similarity among them.

Here is a google doc that I put together several months ago detailing my process and guesses. I updated all the Hama tracks, but haven't gone through to do other revisions yet.