View Single Post
Old Mar 17, 2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_Chaser View Post
Mega man series: Haunted by sound effects in several songs. Seems to have been fixed in the recent re-releases.
They have and they haven't. The newer MMX Sound Box fixes all the issues from the old one, but with the Rockcan/MM Sound Box they fixed the issues with the Team Entertainment releases of MM7 and MM8, but messed up MM1 and MM2 which were fine in the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_Chaser View Post
Plok: A cassette only release? What were they thinking? Plok deserved better.
This pisses me off to no end. It's a retro meme release. I think people forget that CD's were a thing in the '80s and '90s.

You mentioned Mother 2, but I'd also like a full OST with separate tracks for the first game. They're all on a single track at the end of the arrange album, which is annoying. Same goes for Super Mario Land, though most of that is available on the 30th anniversary album (still missing the ending theme though, one of my favorites)

Super Metroid: One of the biggest travesties in VGM. Not only is it missing tracks, not only do the tracks not loop twice, but most don't even complete a single loop before fading out. Absolute trash release and its only value is as a shelf piece because of how rare it is and not because it's a quality product. If I was lucky enough to own this, I'd sell it immediately and get something better.

Mystic Ark: A low buzz permeates the left channel on every. single. track.

Castlevania GBA trilogy: These are complete, but poorly mastered. It sounds like they were recorded from the headphone jack rather than ripped straight from the source.

Mr. Driller, Tales of Legendia, God Eater: Go Shiina likes to omit or change tracks on everything for a better album experience. Some of the changes are neat, but I'd still like to have everything.

Paper Mario: The whole thing is crammed onto a single disc and is missing a lot of great tracks like this one.

King's Field series: We've gotten two best of collections but both are rare and incomplete.

Star Ocean 1 (SFC): We only have about a dozen of the original tracks from the "soundtrack" that isn't really a soundtrack.

Tales of Destiny: The "OST" to this game, like Star Ocean and the original Tales of Phantasia release, isn't a real OST but is the same sound data with different instrument samples. I actually prefer the mastering on the album over the in-game version (whoever did sound programming for Sakuraba's PS1 stuff went overboard on the rhythm sections), but this is still a big hole in VGM history.

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3: The album for this game is a weird combination of drama and OST in each track, and most of the OST is absent. It's a real shame because there were some really great arrangements and original battle themes from Sakuraba and Shiina for this game, but unlike the rest of the albums I've listed here, a gamerip isn't really an option because of how compressed PSP audio is.

Last edited by Aifread; Mar 17, 2020 at 09:31 PM.