View Single Post
Old Dec 18, 2021, 10:06 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genoard View Post
I have made some scans i'd like to upload. The scanner produced them using JPEG compression in a TIFF container. So the files are, like, 4900x7000 1,34MB .tiff. They are currently in an A4 paper sheet aspect ratio with a lot of whitespace. If i crop them, then no matter what format i choose to save the cropped image in, it turns out much larger in file size than the original. Considering there was already a loss of data during scanning procedure, i don't want to save the resulting cropped image in a lossy format, because it would result in further quality decrease (lossy->lossy). But if i choose a lossless format, like png, to export the cropped image into, then the resulting image becomes massive in size, ~30MB or more. What would be the correct course of action for me to take with this problem?
I think it is ok to be lossy, because we aren't looking to archive them perfectly. The most important thing is readable text so that these can serve as the original source for artist and company credits and tracklist titles.