View Single Post
Old Nov 11, 2013, 02:57 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Chip View Post
So it's wrong linking him to this album's proper alias?
There are two sets of credits associated with most bemani tracks: the artist name and the production credits.

The artist name is the person or people the song is credited to in the game. Sometimes it's the performer, sometimes it's the composer, sometimes it's the arranger, and sometimes it's a mix of those.

The production credits are included only on the Japanese soundtracks, and they list all the people who wrote the song. 99.9% of the time they'll include the composer, and sometimes they'll also include the arranger and/or lyricist when applicable.

What I'm saying is the artist name is not the composer and it's wrong to treat it as such. The composer is (almost) always explicitly named in the production credits and that's the name we should use for the composer, not the artist name which is fairly random and might not even be the composer.

To look at it another way, on LC-1752, the track notes specifically say "Composed by NAOKI MAEDA" for "let it out," but you put "true dreamer" as the composer instead. How is that providing accuracy? It seems bizarre and arbitrary to me to disregard the explicitly credited composer and put whatever you want in the composer field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Chip View Post
Even if its the same song with a different alias that we know links to Shoichiro Hirata?
It's not a different alias. Both the Party Collection OST and V-RARE 3 list the artist as Shawn the Horny Master. The difference is that the OST includes production credits where Sho-T is credited as the composer, while V-RARE 3 omits the production credits and only has the artist name. Since the artist name is not the composer, I copied the composer from the OST. It's not a case where he's being credited differently on different albums: V-RARE 3 is missing information, and I filled in that information from the OST.

Treating the artist name as the composer leads to mistakes: TAKA didn't compose "V(For Extreme)" (Antonio Vivaldi did) and Scotty D. probably didn't compose "DROP THE BOMB" (likely U1-ASAMi's work).

We don't really have a field for "artist" as the DDR series uses the term. The closest would I guess be performer, but I don't really think that's right. But I also don't think it's right to link artist names as composers.