View Single Post
Old Jan 9, 2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustDontKnowAnymore View Post
But you at least like He of the Name, right?
No, I'm afraid not. I find it pretty annoying. It certainly makes me think of what I consider better-composed (even if not better-mixed) rock boss battle themes--especially Sasai, but also Uematsu had always shined when he was doing his rock thing. I even would sooner take a Sakuraba boss theme, and normally I don't care for his work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon
One thing to consider about BD -- just look at the game itself. Despite having a new (and fantastic) take on the traditional turn based system, along with a lot of QoL implimentations (many of which were NOT in the original release, mind you) it's still in general a throwback to older days of the genre. So it makes a lot of sense that the soundtrack harkens back to that as well.
Yes, that's quite true. The problem was really my expectation. Revo was a newcomer to VGM I thought would do something different than the norm; but you're right that for a game like BD, the norm should have been maintained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear
These days, this kind of music is lacking in the vast world of (RPG) music - classic, even clichéed tunes, which are simple, yet memorable. Like in the 90's. Experimenting with new styles is fine, but sometimes games just need a touch of retro vibe.
Oh, absolutely. I'm working on an OST right now where I'm trying to be intentional about injecting a generous amount of retro--because I agree that it's important.

I don't think the BD soundtrack is bad, just disappointing. It's perfectly suitable as a JRPG OST.