View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Anyway, I suggest you organize an official compo, for getting both activity and to show people the system. Maybe you could even make the first place prize the ability to choose the theme of the next official compo (that may sound useless since people can create their own, but depending whether or not you get a spike in hits from an event such as this, it could be useful). I'm not sure about everyone else, but it would mean more to me if I won an official one, too...
I had this idea too, so I totally agree with Muurgh. It makes sense and adds some structure to the chaos. If you win a comp, you host the next (if you can't, it goes to runner up, etc) I don't think the person who hosts the comp should be able to participate either, for two reasons that I can think of off the top of my head.
1: They can be fairly biased about what the competition focuses on. If there are prizes to be won, I can't wager my trust on anyone not to do that.
2: You can end up with 1 person hosting and winning too often, so nobody learns from the comp or thinks they have a chance at winning, etc. There are other reasons, but I think those are the most important.

If no one else stands up, I'll host it myself, but I won't compete, I don't think it would work out well and it's against my.... ethics I guess? (I have ethics??? XD) Muurgh, any reason you can't/won't? I'm in the process of finding someone impartial who might. He might do it and I might help him with it (in which case neither of us would be competing). If you wanted to do it though, definitely say so.

The important part of all this is that we can help make the site what we want it to be. That will give us a reason to be here and Quintin the traffic he needs. I'm sure we all have issues with other sites for one reason or another, might be an idea for us to try shape this one into something worthwhile long-term, and not just for the comps.