Thread: 5 Star Ratings
View Single Post
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:37 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I don't know how you determine what you will still enjoy in the future. My tastes always change and I have no crystal ball. I always rate things for the here-and-now, especially since I can change the ratings at any time. Nostalgia certainly weighs in on my enjoyment of any track at any time, so even albums I enjoyed more in the past still have a better chance. Though it's worth stating that some of my old ratings here at VGMdb may be inflated.

For rating albums, I use a rough relative scale based on number of songs I enjoy as well as how much that I enjoy them. Naturally, longer albums tend to get higher ratings provided the level of quality is kept up. I also weigh heavily in favor for 5-star tracks, since a 5-star track means much more to me than several 3s (and even 4s) combined. In the past I often discounted albums for having several crappy tracks, but that became irrelevant since I now very rarely choose to listen to a complete album I've alreay rated when I can have a custom mix in iTunes.

Also, I always keep my ratings as subjective as possible. Unless writing a professional review, it's counterproductive to attempt to be bias-free, especially on a site that uses an aggregate to determine album scores.