Thread: 5 Star Ratings
View Single Post
Old May 31, 2010, 01:11 AM

I'll give a soundtrack 5 stars even if it has a couple lame tracks. The thing that has the most weight for me is the quality of the songs that are good, and then the ratio of enjoyable songs to lame ones.

The thing I keep in mind is that this is game music; it's extremely rare to find a soundtrack in which every single song is good because there are stupid little 20-second-loop songs that are designed to fit a certain instance in the game. This is just the nature of game music, and it generally doesn't take too much away from the overall experience of a soundtrack filled with really great music (again, ratio). If I were to strictly deduct points from any soundtrack that had even one of these songs, then I'd basically be saying that only soundtracks with about 14 songs all being about 3 or 4 minutes long can POSSIBLY get 5 stars. And there are some soundtracks with ridiculously good music out there that have one or two of these songs (*cough*Soul Calibur III*cough*).

I draw the line at some level of consistency. Otherwise, why only expect every song to be "good" in order to give a 5-star rating? Why not expect every song to be 5-stars in itself as well? Wouldn't that be a "true" 5-star album? To me, a 5-star rating doesn't mean "perfect" or "the best" because multiple things can receive 5-star ratings (and there's really no way to measure "perfection" in a song).

I haven't gotten around to rating everything I've listened to yet (or even fully listening to the soundtracks I really love), but I see 5-star ratings in the future for a number of soundtracks. Like Soul Calibur III ♥