View Single Post
Old May 4, 2015, 06:36 PM
VGMdb Advisor

As soon as I read your thread, I was like "no way. There's no way this is legitimate. You are a dumb person."

But you are not a dumb person. If that is a fake, it'd be a well-reproduced fake. The other reason I suspect it's legitimate is that the seller's current stock of other stuff for sale all looks perfectly legitimate. AND I've never even heard of someone creating a bootleg look-alike of Secret of Evermore.

Maybe the seller just dug up an old box from a Babbage's or something, that had ordered copies from Squaresoft back in '95 to sell next to the cash register, they didn't all get sold, and only now are they seeing the light of day. Could be possible.

I'm very close to ordering one. Before I do, though ... Spirit_Chaser, are you familiar with the difference between a pressed CD and a laser-burnt CD? That'll be the ultimate tell.

There are tests you can do in the dark with a red laser-pen. Or you can look for a "burn mark" where the album would end.

Also, could you check to see if what's written on the disc's inner rim appears on both sides of your disc? The "ZOMAX-OPTICAL PLYMOUTH MN-Z11715 0L1Y3<1005>" bit?

http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=53783

The last 4 digits might even be a serial number, so you'd have a different one? Not sure?

I'd really appreciate if you could look at that inner rim before I order one. Thank you!

Last edited by Ramza; May 4, 2015 at 06:42 PM.