View Single Post
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethe View Post
And by the way that whole talk of "supporting the composer" is actually complete nonsense most of the time (this could be a special case though).
I'm not going to comment on the rest of the discussion here, but I would like to add that there are several reasons why this statement is misleading and possibly incorrect.

First, in this particular case, as in several others, the album is self-published. In such cases, some of the money will make its way back to the artist (after cuts are taken out for the distributor and retailer). This supports the artist.

Second, even if no money paid for the album ever makes it into the artist's hands, as in most cases of music published by major labels, by purchasing a copy of the album you have given the publisher a bit more of a reason to publish more of the artist's work in the future, which would provide more money to the artist. This is also support.

Finally, by paying money for an artist's work you are showing him or her that it has value to you. Whether or not they receive any financial compensation, it is worthwhile to encourage people whose work you admire. I think that you would agree that this too is a form of support, perhaps the most important one.