View Single Post
Old Feb 12, 2019, 05:27 AM

Default Arranging, Licensing, how do others do it?

Hi!

I’ve been wondering for a very long time how it would be possible to release video game music you have arranged on platforms such as Spotify? What is the kind of licensing involved? Do musicians who have their songs on Spotify such as Flyrule (or albums such as “chrono trigger: Music for 25 games”) get permission? Are they just uploading their songs regardless? What would the kinds of penalties involved be?

I’ve always wanted to release some of the arranged themes I’ve worked on, but have just not known how to do such a thing. Would it be likely that releasing an arranged song, say from a game such as Lufia, carry penalties, especially if it was on a platform such as Spotify? There seems to be so many artists on Bandcamp who do this very same thing, with physical copies of albums/vinyl sold.

What’s the verdict on doing something like this? Is it just risk it and hope for the best?

I really appreciate any help with my question, I just felt this would be a great place to ask it and I’m sure some people have asked this before.

Thank you!
Michael